Monday, May 7, 2012

Dust It Off & BMM - Learned from WIP

Today is the last day for the Dust It Off hosted by Cortney Pearson and Theresa Paolo!

The third day, May 7th: Post what you learned from this WIP. You become a stronger, more rounded writer which each manuscript and we want to know what this particular work taught you.

I didn’t enter this Bloghop to win the prizes. In fact I probably shouldn’t win. First, I don’t have any type of query and don’t even have the desire to write one until I finish my WIP and have it polished. Second, I don’t have a full manuscript to critique. I wish I did but unfortunately I do not. And this is why I participated in the Bloghop in the first place – to dust Unsurvive off and get back to writing and finishing it.

Hmmm… what have I learned? I learned NOT to GIVE UP on myself so easily.
I learned to TRUST! You guys were so nice to take the time to stop by and read my Pitch and Excerpt. Then you wonderful bloggers had some great things to say and really made me feel like I can be more open and trustworthy with my WIP’s.

I learned to BELIEVE in my children. They had/have the best ideas for writing a book that will appeal to them and adults. This led me to think that I should probably change my YA Horror to MG Horror. The kids gave me tips on how I should change a scene, make it more appealing, and they even had great SCARY concepts they wanted to see added. Each one wanted have a kill by the end of the book… did you get that? They [my kids] wanted to have a kill. Yup, you guessed it; those are my kids in my WIP. Why did I put my kids in it? Well I received a great tip from a twitter pal who suggested, when I was having a hard even getting started, to replace my protags with my children. This will give my writing passion and have me feel it more. She was right. I have never had more desire for writing than I did after adding my kids to the story.

Lastly… I wanted to say THANK YOU! You were all so kind to stop by and say such nice things. It gives me the power and thirst to finish this WIP.

And this is what I have learned!


Mondays: May I tell you something about writing?
This can be anything writing-related. A post on craft. A post on your process. A snippet of your WIP, if you like to share. A book on craft that you want to recommend. Things you struggle with. Things you rock at. ANYTHING at all! 

The post above is for both Bloghops! There, how easy was that.

 Have a great Monday!

18 comments:

  1. I love what you said about believing in your kids. They have a lot more insight and wisdom than we know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that you put your kids in it! I bet they love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very excited and said that I could not change the names.

      Delete
  3. LOVE this, Danielle. Too cool. This post only shows what an awesome mom/person/writer you are. Very inspiring. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much! That means a lot!

      Delete
  4. Children have so much wisdom. Never give up is right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "NOT to GIVE UP " << Right there, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids definitely have the best ideas, I think! I go to my teenage neices sometimes for help when I need it. And hooha for not giving up! Thanks so much for participating with us, it's been great! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved every minute of it! Thanks for hosting it!

      Delete
  7. That's very cool that your kids are involved. Mine are still a little too young for that, 7 and 5. But maybe they can still give me ideas too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know... run it past them. They might surprise you!

      Delete
  8. MG Horror! That is a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just aiming for YA but my kids were so excited and interested in reading it so I thought it was be a good choice.

      Delete
  9. Never give up. I received the best advice recently from a friend of mine she said "You will because you can" and you can. Doubt is a horrible thing, don't let it drive you away from what you know you should be doing.

    I love that you put your kids in your book. That is such a great idea and I love MG Horror! Good luck! I am so happy you hopped along with us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! I was glad to hop as well. That is some great advice. "To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did." and this is great for writing.

      Delete

I heart me some good comments... and pumpkin spice latte's too!