Thursday, May 3, 2012

Dust It Off and Blog Me MAYbe Bloghops

So where to begin...

Two bloghops...
How about we do the Dust It Off Bloghop first,

The first day, May 3rd: We want you to post a 1-2 sentence pitch (Great way to practice pitches) about the shelved WIP.

I shelved this WIP cause I couldn't finish it. I was dealing with some tricky stuff. Do I or Don't I kill off someone. I'm using this WIP in hopes off jumpstarting my passion to finish it.

Title: Unsurvive
Genre: YA Horror
Length: goal 80,000

A thirteen year old boy’s only hope for survival is his grandparent's home, but with three younger siblings to care for and the living dead lurking around every corner, the trek there could be the last mistake they ever make.




Now the Blog Me MAYbe Thursdays: May I tell you something about someone else?

My closest friend of 13 years is my complete opposite when it comes to being girly. Of course I love being girly in the time of need; but do not love shoes or read love books, study fashion in NY, or design purses and shoes. She is very adventurous though. She loves sky-diving and travels everywhere. I love her for everything she is and she is my naughty counterpart. You wanna hear some great partying stories? We have them. How about that one time when - no, not appropriate. Or maybe that time when - no can't tell that one either.

Jaimie and I played 20 questions and here they are...


1.) Can you tell me again about the first time you remember meeting me?
Well I had just started dating your brother, and he said we were going to go to his sister's house. So we get there, and you are sitting there, hubby #1 and (his bestfriend) Gabe (I think) are playing a video game and we're just sitting on the couch hanging out. You were pregnant with baby #1 and you said Sorry we're not much fun. And then you were telling us some story about mice or rats in your apartment.

2.) What trip would you do with me again; going to Cedar Point or New York?
Definitely NYC. We had crap weather the whole weekend while you were there. I would like you to see the real New York where everyone is out. 

3.) What’s your favorite memory of us?
How the hell am I supposed to pick a favorite memory?? I have so many memories, they are all my favorites :) What's YOUR favorite memory of us?

4.) What would you do if you were made to celebrate your birthday on ONE day and ONE day only?
Well, this would never happen...but if for some crazy reason I had only one day to celebrate, I would get up early, go shopping for some birthday treats to myself, probably at least a pair of shoes, and an outfit or two. After that, I would have a nice lunch with Luke somewhere yummy, maybe Salvatori's (if you haven't tried it, you need to. It'll change your life), then we'd go home and have some amazing sex, shower, and then I'd start the long process of getting ready for my birthday party! We would meet up with everybody important to me for dinner and drinks maybe at club soda or baker street (because this is my fantasy and money is no object!) after that we would go to flashbacks where they would only play the awesome old music that make us dance and laugh and sing along to at the top of our lungs! After we closed the bar down, we would go to IHOP and eat lots of yummy food like hashbrowns and bacon! Then Luke would take me home and put me in bed. And that might just be the best birthday I've ever dreamt of. Keep this, it might the plan for next year :)

5.) If we were to get another tattoo together, but this time about us, what would it be? 
Maybe the Chinese symbol for sisters

Name only one thing from each category below that you would want if you were stranded on a deserted island
6.) Movie? 
Almost Famous. Weird that we'll have a tv and dvd player on a deserted island :)

7.) Book?
umm...since I'm trapped on a desert island, I probably want some light reading so I'll take something by Lauren Weisberger or Emily Giffin

8.) TV show?
New Girl! 

9.) Ethnicity of food i.e. Italian, Mexican, etc?
Mmm probably Italian.

10.) Mountain Dew or Beer?
Hmm...is it ice cold? Nothing tastes better on a hot deserted island than an ice cold beer. On the other hand...warm mountain dew is pretty nasty.

11.) Bikini or One Piece? And you can only have ONE swim suit.
Bikini. I would probably pick a comfy one, either my white plaid one or my teal striped boyshorts w/ teal top.

12.) Lip Gloss or Mascara?
Lip Gloss! I can't go anywhere without mascara, but if I'm on a desert island no one will see me, my lips will know they are dry.

13.) Sleeping Arrangements: Cot or Hammock?
Hammock! I love those things :)

14.) You can only take 5 things from your apartment; what would they be?
Hmmm...chapstick, my fav picture of Luke, sunscreen, kindle, and my phone. I originally had Rambo (her cat) on here, but he'd probably starve. I'd like to think my sister or Luke would think of him once they heard I was stranded and take care of him while I'm away.

15.) Would you exercise or relax? Probably relax at first, but depending on how long I'm stranded I would get bored, and start working out. 
About yourself

16.) What is the best part about waking up in the mornings?
I suppose I should say the best thing about waking up in the mornings is the fact that I'm waking up to enjoy another day, but honestly since I'm not a morning person, nothing seems good about waking up in the mornings. Unless it’s summer and I don't have to work, or Luke is in my bed :)

17.) What is the biggest accomplishment you’ve done in the past year?
I would say the fact that I'm in a real, grown up relationship, and I've taken steps to do what I really want to do with my life

18.) Something you haven’t done but want to in the future?
See my shoe designs in stores!

19.) Biggest regret if there is any? 
I wish I would've given New York more of a chance while I was there. Maybe stayed and did an internship, and gotten a job out there after school. Sometimes I wish I had, but then I wouldn't have met Luke, so mostly I'm glad things turned out like they did.

20.) Tell me something about yourself that I might not know.
Well, with the encouragement of Luke, I am contacting people and doing research and writing up a business plan to design my own shoes and bags! I'm very excited, though it's going to be a long, slow process.

47 comments:

  1. 2 blog hops, busy lady. Is your story MG or YA?

    I feel sorry for your mc, 3 kids and the living dead, that's a lot for a 13 year old. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah crap! I totally forgot my intro to the novel. Even tho my protag and his siblings are young, I'm considering it YA because of the things that have to be done for them to survive.

      Yes it is a lot for such a young person but I'm trying to make it as real as if this was to actually happen.

      Delete
  2. LOVE that pitch! Short, to the point and very attention grabbing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I had it different and got a second opinion and taking all suggestions, I combined them and this is what happened.

      Delete
  3. I love the twist with the homey grandparents feel and then the living dead lurking around every corner, lol! Can't wait to learn a little more about this project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's hard to put everything into a 1-2 sentence pitch. The grandparents home being safe is only on speculation and a last request.

      Delete
  4. Ooo, great job with your pitch. It gives a definite idea of the conflict and what's at stake without banging me over the head. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to be to wordy. I think the whole idea of a pitch is to reveal enough to not give it all away. Some pitches I've read makes me feel like I've just read the book.

      Delete
  5. Here for the dust it off blog hop. Love the pitch. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pitch, especially the end! Sounds like a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pitch. I'm querying my horror novel right now, and I had a hard time killing people off, too. It's hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Especially when it could cross the line of cruel or morally horrible. What to do, what to do?

      Delete
  8. Fantastic pitch! That's got me wanting to know what happens to those poor kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some couldn't imagine and I had to push the envelope a tad.

      Delete
  9. Nice pitch. The living dead are my favorite kind of monster.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pitch! Specially the last part "the last mistake ..." nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's the part where I'm hung up, so we'll see.

      Delete
  11. This sounds like an awesome story. I love TV shows about how humanity would survive against zombies, and the idea of writing zombie survival for young adults is a really interesting one. I'd love to read more about this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows, if I can't figure it out, it might appear on my blog more often with Q's for my readers asking for their opinions.

      Delete
  12. Great pitch! I'm digging this blog hop. Verrrry fun. And great interview. Thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having a short rundown on what people have hiding on their shelves waiting to be picked up and read. This is fun. Thanks!

      Delete
  13. I really like this pitch. Siblings and lurking dead...intrigued for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like a really awesome story, a mixture of a family story and horror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. It's a horror novel but at the core is a family trying to beat the odds.

      Delete
  15. Nice pitch! You've definitely piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool premise for your YA horror!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It came to me in a dream where most great ideas come from.

      Delete
  17. good luck with your YA horror!
    very interesting to read about the lives of fellow bloggers! good luck with your business plan too!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did follow and love your blog. I love reading about people and their evreyday life. So interesting. Thanks for the follow!

      Delete
  18. That's busy enough to make me tired. I'm still on sabbatical from last month.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love this pitch. We need more YA Horror :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The kids think about the same terrible horrible things that could happen just like adults do. So why not aim a horror novel for them?

      Delete
  20. YA Horror? Ooh. Sounds interesting. I don't think I've ever heard of a YA Horror, unless Goosebumps counts, but I think that might be MG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth Chandler writes YA Horror/Thriller. There are a ton out there just not very popular or have been forgotten. They need to be revived.

      Delete
  21. Three younger siblings to care for, the living dead lurking, a trek that could be their last mistake Sign me up! Can't wait to read your excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now I need to pick the perfect passage.

      Delete
  22. Ooh, awesome pitch. That would be a lot of work for a thirteen year old. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a fun read! What's not to like about zombies?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Poor kid. Now I need to know what happens! Great pitch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't even know what happens yet. lol

      Delete
  25. I really hope you finish unsurvive. I like the stry line a lot.

    ReplyDelete

I heart me some good comments... and pumpkin spice latte's too!