Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Does Your Smurfy Side Show in Your Writing?

Wednesdays: May I ask something about you?
Ask your followers something about themselves. 

I asked the kids the other day, “What do you think I should ask my followers?” Everything my kids offered, I shot down, letting them know that I had already talked about it. UNTIL my wise-guy teen son said “Have you introduced them to your East Coast alter ego?” “Ummm, no, I haven’t.” “Well maybe you should see how many of them swear smurf.” So I thought... Smurf it! Why not?!

I’ve never lived on the East Coast and have no idea where I get my accent from. My look-a-like cousin also has an accent. Granted my accent only comes out when I’m pissed smurffed or have been drinking. Oh the alcohol-induced-East-Coast drunken nights.

I’m gonna give you some examples…

If my daughter was to tell me to “shut up”…

My response – “Excuse me! You better watch yur mouth before I wash it full’a soup. You understand me. And don’t even think about rollin’ yur eyes at me or I’m gonna beat yur butt.” – No people I don’t actually beat their butts but they get the drift.”

NOW if some random girl at a bar, or after I’ve been drinking, told me to “shut up”…

My response – “Oh hell no! Listen here you punk *ss b*tch. Yur about two seconds away from getting yur *ss beat. If I was you, I’d turn and walk the otha way before I bust out o’my skin and rip ya f*ckin’ face off.” – As you can see my hubby stopped taking me out so much though he says he loves picking fights with me cause he loves it when I get all feisty!

OR lets take my same response and smurf it up a bit - “Oh smurf no! Listen here you punk smurf smurfette. Yur about two seconds away from getting yur smurf beat. If I was you, I’d turn and walk the otha way before I bust out o’my skin and rip ya smurfin’ face off.”

As you can tell I swear A LOT! I’ve been working on it lately. Promise.

I’m actually a really nice girl. I’m loving and caring, and a hoot to be around but don’t cross me. I probably get my “bulldog” attitude from my mom. We both stand 5’2” but we carry a lot of bite with our bark.

How does this relate to my writing? I ALWAYS have my ying and yang sides portrayed on paper. One is grounded, well liked, considerate, and loving. The other is “East Coast” b*tch, strong-willed, disobedient, but also very loyal.

So how does your inner persona’s affect your writing? How smurfy do you get?

Happy Hump Day!

21 comments:

  1. Not really but I do have an inner crazy side that affects my writing sometimes. I mean I have a story I'm going to work on during Bunowrimo (June Nanowrimo) where dolphins are super villains and frogs are our heroes. I still don't know where I got that insane idea from. Worse in the furure ya novel, I have a dolphin body slam a human trainer who tried to get away by flicking over the fence to get her. Sorry but that's just nuts and I'm writing this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Sheena! That is some smurfed up stuff. I can't imagine what's going on in yout head. BUT I do have to say... I'm picturing your story and it has piqued my interest and I can totally picture it. So what does that say about me? If you want an extra pair of eyes, I'm offering myself up. Hehe

      Delete
    2. You're at the top of the list Dani!! Thanks for replying.

      Delete
  2. i love this post! im a combo east coast b from mass, southern sweetie from georgia and laid back lazy butt from florida...so i am allowed to say all that too!

    im using smurf nxt time i need to cuss! ha!
    and i have added some colorful language to my ms because tho i dont like to, they do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you have every right to smurf. lol. Oh my characters beg for some swear words.

      Delete
  3. Interesting to think about. I'm not sure what part of me sneaks into my writing. Possibly that all of characters end up with some sort of pet. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have an accent, but some ppl *cough, including you, cough* say I pronounce certain words weird. LOL!!! (Example... the word coffee.. I say cawfee)

    I do the yin yang thing in my writing. It keeps things balanced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean like different as diffurnt. *giving my best idk-what-you-mean eyes*.

      Delete
  5. Oh man, "smurfing" means something totally different in the UK! *blushes*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo I'm interested now. I'm assuming it's something naughty!?

      Delete
  6. I have to slow down when I read - I swear that, upon first glance, that said do you show your smutty side...?

    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to not read comments as work. I just busted a gut and got the strangest looks. lol. I guess smurfy can mean smutty.

      Delete
  7. Ahahaha, I love the idea of using smurf as a new replacement for swear words! And yes, my smurfy side does come out in my writing. One character of mine in particular is my smurfy other half. She says all the mean things I sometimes think but often don't say myself. She's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one great thing about using writing as a releasing tool. You can do and say all things you're either afraid to do or shouldn't do.

      Delete
  8. It's usually my male characters that go bonkers, lol. Apparently I take out my frustrations with them in my writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let's just say that I really need to use "smurf" more often. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buahahahaa! I hear ya! It's these smurfin' kids. Kidding!

      Delete
  10. In my current WIP my 'sciency' side sneaks into my writing. I'm typing along, trying to think smart like my MC and then something pretty intelligent pops into my head and I'm like, whoa. Where'd that come from? haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. My spoken grammar has gotten much, much better since I got serious about my writing. My accent is standard West Coast, and I act like I'm from Portland.

    I'm boring. :(

    ReplyDelete

I heart me some good comments... and pumpkin spice latte's too!