Thursday, September 27, 2012

Wiseass Kids: Meme vs Meem

Last night I was emailing a friend at home, when 14 yr old says “Are you almost done yet?” You know cause he pays the bills and wanted to get on and stuff.

I said “Hold on! Jackie and I are trying to figure out our meme.”

He laughed.

“What’s so funny?”

“It’s meme like seem.”

Blood rushed to my face. “Then why isn’t it spelled like seem like m-e-e-m?”

He says, “It's to confuse you mom. The last e is silent like in cake, you don’t say cake, ca-key do you?”

What a wiseass. Then he goes and shows me what kids now-a-days are calling meems memes.

Uhhhh when he showed me them I say, “Oh you mean like a poster.”

He scoffs and says “NO! These are memes mom, NOT posters.”

I say “Child, what you call memes, I call posters.” We literally argued over it. Lol. Anyways, now I feel totally stupid for calling them me-me’s insteads of meems memes.

So being the continual wiseass as he is (I don't know where he gets it), up pops Wikipedia. “Mom, come read this.”

A meme ( /ˈmm/; meem) is "an idea, behavior or style that spreads from person to person within a culture." A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols or practices, which can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals or other imitable phenomena. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate and respond to selective pressures.

The word meme is a shortening (modeled on gene) of mimeme (from Ancient Greek μίμημα Greek pronunciation: [míːmɛːma] mīmēma, "something imitated"… yadda, yadda, yadda, blah, blah, blah

He turns, smiles, and goes on to play Mindcraft.

An image of me slapping him upside the back of his head flashes in my vision, I smile back, huff, and go back to making dinner. Shhh, don't tell him but I set his alarm 10 mins early.

So what new stuff have you learned lately?

5 comments:

  1. Boy, I've been pronouncing it wrong too. Which is differently than you. I've been doing it like me (short e), me (long e).

    I stand corrected. Just don't tell your son about all of us who fess up to being wrong. He's probably got a big enough head over this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me-me Meem ... Tomayto Tomahto ... :D I thought it was meee-meee as well. I like the way we pronounce it better! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I've been pronouncing it "me me" too, probably not going to stop now! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm another "me-me" doer. In my defence, my smart arse child is only 10, so he hasn't got around to correcting me on it yet...! lol

    ReplyDelete

I heart me some good comments... and pumpkin spice latte's too!